Sunday 11 January 2015

My Sassy Tips for University

Hey, hey, hey, it's Tomiwa here, hope you're all having a fabulous Sunday! So as you can probably tell from the title, I thought it would be cool to share my tips and advice on how I think you can make your University experience sassy! With a new year and the beginning of another semester, I think now is as good time a time as any to make some changes. For me, the word sassy expresses positivity, boldness and fun with maybe a little bit of cheekiness, and I think that it's the perfect way to approach your university life.

Before I get started on my sassy tips I'll tell you a little bit about myself. I am second year History student at the University of Edinburgh and although my family live in Edinburgh, I actually live in a flat with 3 other students. I originally started uni as a psychology student and so the past year and half has not ran as smoothly as I might of liked but I feel that I have learnt a lot and I am determined to make the most of my second semester. I've managed to whittle it down to three main tips, so here we go!

Be prepared and organised: Honestly, preparation is key. The biggest difference between university and school is that there is nobody there chasing after you to make sure you get your coursework done, wake you up in the mornings or make your dinner for you! So, the first thing I do at the beginning of each semester is go through my respective course handbooks, write out all my deadlines, pick essay questions and then stick this up on my pin board which is above my desk. It seems a little bit extreme but uni has this lovely habit of sneaking up on you and so it's good to have a constant reminder and be prepared.

Plan: I'm going to be really honest here, I'm an obsessive planner. I will plan my meals for the week, the hours I'm going to be in the library, I'll even timetable my day (including showering, eating, watching TV) if I'm really stressed. Now, I know this doesn't work for everyone but I think a little but of planning does go a long way. So, either on a Sunday night before your week begins or each night before you go to sleep, write a little 'to do list' of all the things you need to get done each day. Even if you don't manage to cross it all out, it's better to have it all on paper rather than going round and round in your head before you go to sleep at night. 

Find the balance and enjoy it: I think this is the most important piece of advice I can give. Uni has definitely taught me that life is one big balancing act, you're going to have to make sacrifices and you're going to have to do things you don't want to do in order to do the things you do want to do! Work hard and make the most of the opportunities around you - something I'm still working out - but make sure you're enjoying yourself at the same time!


I hope I've not rambled on too much and that my sassy tips are even a little bit helpful! Let me know if you want any more advice posts and please share some of your university tips as well! Obviously, I couldn't end this post without a picture, so here's one taken with my new selfie stick, I know I'm a little bit late but I love it!




Have a fabulous and sassy week! 

T x

2 comments:

  1. your blog is great! I have nominated you for the Liebster Award, you can see it here http://luxuryblush.blogspot.co.uk/2015/01/liebster-award.html if you'd like to have ago xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, thank you so much for nominating us! We'll definitely be giving it a go over the weekend! You're blog is fabulous as well, T x

      Delete